Alpha Resins, a subsidiary of Fairmount Santrol, located in Detroit, MI has an immediate opening for a Development Chemist. The Development Chemist plays an active role in the synthesis, formulation and laboratory evaluation of Foundry resin systems. This individual will be responsible for optimizing product formulations, assisting in the development of new resin technologies, establishing manufacturing instructions and quality assurance specifications, evaluation of alternate raw materials, and facilitating production scale-up activities. Additionally, works closely with Plant Operations, Quality Assurance, and Sales Departments to provide technical support and troubleshooting assistance.
- Perform development activities for current resin product lines at the Alpha Resins facility
- Develop as well as assist in the development of potential new binder systems, working collaboratively with the technical groups at the Santrol Technology Center and Innovation Center
- Establish manufacturing instructions and quality assurance specifications for new products
- Assess, test and evaluate raw materials
- Work closely with raw material suppliers on development, enhancements and testing
- Assist in the development of novolac resins for foundry applications
- Produce sample products for internal or customer evaluation
- Evaluate competitive products and provide technical summary/reports
- Support in product or manufacturing issues working closely with Production & Sales to resolution
- Assist Plant Operations with scale-up activities, efficiency and quality issues
- Work with sales to develop or enhance product offerings
- Focused and committed efforts towards sustainable development
- Bachelor’s of Science in Chemistry required, Master’s of Science with Polymer Chemistry specialization preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in polymer chemistry: phenolic resole resins, solvent-borne urethane systems, urea-formaldehyde resins, novolac resins
- Proficiency in wet chemical and analytical test methods required
- Knowledge of ISO 9001/9002
- Supervisory experience
- Foundry knowledge preferred
- Detail oriented with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Working knowledge of computers with a proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Proven Project Management and Problem solving skills
- Understanding Quality Systems/ Six-sigma methodology
- Highly collaborative, team player, self-motivated and goal-oriented
- Some travel is required
- Occasional lifting and climbing
Full-time position with competitive compensation, medical and dental benefit package, 401(k), Retirement Savings Plan, Wellness Incentive Program and Safety Bonus Program.
EOE Fairmount Santrol is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. Veteran.
Fairmount Santrol has a strong commitment to sustainable development and environmental stewardship. We strive to conduct our business in a way that respects and supports environmental and social issues while also building prosperity for our many stakeholders.
To apply online, please click the Download Application button below to complete the form. Once you have filled out the document and saved it to your desktop, please click the Apply Online button to upload the form and submit your application.Download Application