June 14, 2017
Fairmount Santrol Shares Eleventh Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report
It seems like the annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report kick off each fall comes around faster and faster each year, and we find ourselves saying, “didn’t we just finish the last report!?” This annual reporting process requires a lot of work and collaboration across silos. In addition to providing stakeholders with valuable information, the annual CSR Report is a great opportunity to build relationships across functional areas and geographic distance. Since 2006, Fairmount Santrol has reported on our Sustainable Development (SD) / CSR story, following the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Guidelines. To meet the GRI guidelines, specifically around reporting on what really matters (materiality), we conducted an assessment and engaged internal and external stakeholders to identify and prioritize Fairmount Santrol’s most significant sustainability-related impacts, risks, and opportunities. These key SD Topics are shown below:
The theme of the 2016 CSR report, Staying True, highlights our collective commitment to Sustainable Development (SD), as well as the many accomplishments by Fairmount Santrol Family Members. This report also demonstrates our ability to see beyond the challenging market conditions, and remain an employer and business partner of choice, committed to sustainability.
- Family Members achieved 101 percent of the 2016 SD Team goals and individual facilities achieved 97 percent of their SD goals.
- Continued focus on safety enabled the Company to outperform the industry average safety statistics and to surpass the Fairmount Santrol record for best year in Total Case Incidence Rate (TCIR).
- Achieved zero waste at 27 of 31 facilities in operation, including the largest facilities.
- Funded or planted over 102,000 trees, with 10 percent of the trees planted by Family Members, to fully sequester 2015 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Shipped the highest volume of raw frac sand in the company’s history.
- Donated $1.2 million to local communities, funding the health, wellness, and education of the next generation as well as the health of the planet.
“By Staying True to our long-standing belief that investing in People, Planet, and Prosperity pays, our people remain inspired, our efficiency has improved, and our stakeholders are reaping the benefits from both previous and current efforts. Core to who we are, we will continue to invest in the development of our people, ensuring that we have the talent required to lead our company as we look to 2017 and beyond,” said President and Chief Executive Officer Jenniffer Deckard.
The annual accountability of the public reporting process keeps us striving to better manage our material SD Topics. Though it seems like the yearly reporting cycle comes around faster and faster each year, we find that the materiality process required by GRI keeps us focusing on the topics of highest importance to both external and internal stakeholders. Having a strategy – or ‘north star’ focus – makes a big difference. Please check out our 2016 CSR Report and join the conversation at csr.fairmountsantrol.com.View all posts